Saturday, October 27, 2007

Crazy Aunt Purl

The week before last I went to a book signing in Beaverton for CAP's book (Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair). I had actually just started reading Laurie's blog a week or so before at the recommendation of a friend from the evil job that was, and then it turned out she was coming to P-town. Practically.

Anyway, I went and she was super funny, charmingly Southern, and highly likable. I couldn't really afford to buy her book, but when I explained that and asked if I could take a picture with her, she gave me a copy of the book, which was so sweet I nearly cried. (It has been one of those months, y'all.) It's a good book; it's shorter than I hoped, which is kind of a good thing, I guess, because that means I wanted to read more of it, and it's actually helping me through some of my weirdness about my relationship situation (see post below).

And I re-discovered an odd thing I had kind of noticed a long time ago, and that is that I seem to have a sympathetic Southern accent. After listening to people with Southern accents I invariably start talking with a teensy drawl. I have never been to the South, so there's really no good reason for it...I think I just like how it sounds. Plus, y'all is a very satisfying thing to say, since we don't have anything else like "vous" or "vosotros" in English. Clarifying and all.

No comments: